Nina & Tony’s C2C day two

We began the journey from Penrith with an uphill climb out of the town, which I thought was hard, I had no idea how much more difficult the ride was going to get.
It was 10 hours until we were to reach our final destination in Consett.
Hartside cafe looked like a good place to stop for a break on the map but to get there was our biggest climb so far-about 20km. I spotted the cafe half way up and realised how much further we still had to go.
To get to the cafe we has to join a busy A road-a favourite with Motorcyclists it seems. The incline to the road was pretty steep and I was convinced I wasn’t going to make it, I was right! I started to roll back and enjoyed my second fall from the bike. Tony helped me up the last climb with encouragement and a bit of pushing.
Finally we had reached the cafe and I thought “at least all the hard climbing is done” I was so wrong, we had more climbing to Nenthead, Allenhead and out of Rookhope.
In Stanhope there were two route options. We picked the wrong one-a 17% incline on a busy A road and we were both thinking “this cannot be right” and it was at this point Tony lost the plot and my neck was really hurting from where my chin bounced of the car. We’d had enough but we still had 12 miles to go.
Thankfully there was a turn of onto the Waskerley way which was such a pleasurable path that we had some new found energy.
John had decided to go off on his own, which got him here 20 mins before us, and arrived after a 2 mile walk with a puncture(we had the pump).
It was a hard day but there were some great views and some funny moments.






Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s